Monday, November 25, 2013

Google Maps Update is a Disaster

There's no "recently navigated" list.  All that shows up is a bunch of restaurants in my hometown that I don't need a GPS for and never used the GPS.
I make reservations for hotels all along a trip.  Before leaving home, I used to enter each address, hit navigate, then stop navigation.  Each hotel would then be saved in my "recent" list, and I wouldn't have to look for an address on a scrap of paper and key it in while driving.  You might suggest I enter them each morning, but i also have other destinations during the day, that make my hotel disappear!  Voice entry is a rare hit and mostly miss proposition.  In four days of driving in the south Atlantic states, voice has worked only once.

The interface is awful for what it does do.  If voice entry is accepted, the destination doesn't even show on the screen!  You need to open destinations and select the one you just spoke. 

All in all, this "update" is a disaster.  Try learning to use it, and then start driving and try having your untutored passenger operate it for you.  Instant frustration!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am troubled by the same behavior.  The ability to retain previously input destinations is a critical basic function of a navigation system.  Google Maps has all kinds of "gee whiz" bells and whistles I'll never use, but it seems to fail at getting me where I want to go without inordinate tinkering.  I tried using The C Man's advice, but the desktop version of Google Maps won't display properly on my Galaxy Note 2 with Android 4.1.2.  It looks OK at first, although tiny letters, and then when I touch to input the address, it jumps to magnify greatly to focus on the input area, and even after search is done, the magnification and location of the screen can't be changed.  I can't see what should be on the left or right extremities of the screen.  finger gestures change the magnification of the map within in its window, but not the screen as a whole.

The maps app shows that I am logged in.

Why can't nav just remember the last 50 places I've asked it to navigate to?

Before leaving on a trip, I like to enter every hotel and site to visit, so they will show up as recent searches.  Multiple destinations is cute, but I might want to add side trips in the midst of a 2 week journey.  It's very difficult to input a hotel address while driving, especially since I can't get voice recognition to work in such out of the way places as New York City and Boston, never mind the inconvenience and hazard of having to refer to a piece of paper to get the address each time.

I generally drive, and my companion is not as familiar with my phone as I am.  They find it frustrating and even maddening to input a destination.  So much easier to pick it off a list.

And while I'm at it, why is it that after a destination is input by voice, the screen does not show it, but instead says "Choose destination" that must be touched to display what I just said????

In Maps "Tips and tricks" under "Save a place and find it later" it advises to "just pull up the info sheet . . . and tap Save"  I've never seen an info sheet except in the example.  Are these only available for locations that pay Google?  None of my hotels (Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, Best Western, etc. seem to have info sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment